Michael R. Castle
249 Acalanes Dr., Apt. #1
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Home: (650) 988-9803
Cell: (408) 829-5432
Summary of Qualifications:
Nine years of experience in the computing industry, including
software engineering, systems administration, and configuration
management. Breadth of skill sets that allows for the solving of
problems using a variety of techniques and tools. Confident using
multiple platforms and technologies, especially UNIX. Experience
creating detailed documentation for a variety of needs. Excellent
communication skills, particularly with creating documentation.
Systems, Languages, and Technologies:
- UNIX (Solaris, SunOS, Linux, NCR/MP-RAS), MS-DOS, MS
Windows-2000/NT/9x, VeriFone telecommunications devices, Concurrent
Versions System (CVS), Perforce, Test Environment Toolkit (TET),
InstallShield, Package For The Web, Make, Ant, Gnats, Wrapper.
Exposure to: MVS, Visual Source Safe (VSS), PVCS, TeX/LaTeX,
- C, Rexx, Tcl (for VeriFone), PCL, Bourne shell, Sed, Awk, Tcl
(Tool Command Language), Expect, NT Batch, Perl.
Exposure to: C++, JCL, Java, JavaCC.
- SCM, CGI, NFS, Faircom C-Tree Plus, Wiki.
Exposure to: NIS/NIS+, DNS, SQL, embedded SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL,
Certive, Inc, Redwood City, CA
Software Configuration Manager
YY Technologies, Mountain View, CA
- Owned the build system which spanned multiple products. Ownership
- Designed and implemented enhancements to the Ant build system to support automated continuous builds and releases, which includes email notification and web posting of results.
- Built and maintained the build environment running on both Linux and Windows.
- Maintained Perforce version management system and SCM policies.
- Built a number of tools for monitoring systems and maintaining branches.
- Documented procedures for setting up new development environments.
- Co-owned the QA system. Tasks included:
- Designed and implemented a test system that works for developers, the automated build system, and the stand-alone test environment.
- Built and maintained the test environments running across both Linux and Windows.
- Documented procedure for working with the test system and setting up new environments.
- Worked on application issues such as:
- Modified projects to launch Java RMI internally to ease application launch issues.
- Researched and implemented solution for cross-platform start up, including support for Unix-sytle daemons and NT services.
- Researched and prepared report on licensing issues surrounding third-party products.
- Worked with ensuring cross-platform compatibilities, including Unix/Windows issues, as well as various databases such as Oracle, MS-SQL, Postgres, and a variety of JDBC connectors.
- Assisted in assorted system administration issues, especially
for Unix based systems, including web server setup and
- Some maintenance of the bug tracking part of the Siebel installation.
Software Configuration Manager/Build Engineer/Release Engineer
MasterCard International, St. Louis, MO
- Engineered an automated build process that allowed for
unattended nightly builds.
- Developed a sub-system for the build process that allowed for
precise specification of components used to build the system that
facilitated the accurate generation of Bills Of Materials.
- Designed install packages using InstallShield's Windows
Installer and Package For The Web tools that allowed for seamless
installations and updates.
- Created system to automatically monitor for new releases of
third party, components which allowed for a timely and uniform
notification of updates.
- Led a problem tracking system evaluation task force that
resulted in the implementation of a Gnats-based system providing
web and email interfaces for both internal and external
- Maintained Perforce version management system, including
managing upgrades and system resources.
Universal Payroll Processing, Milwaukee, WI
- Automated the majority of a test suite using the TET harness
and TCL to submit JCL requests using FTP, resulting in
approximately a 75% decrease in testing time.
- Researched solutions for various change requests, wrote various
design and test documentation which was used to implement the
- Effectively facilitated inter-departmental communications by
acting as liaison between the technology group and the systems
- Lead migration of existing stand-alone payroll application to a
- Designed and implemented APIs for configuration items, unified
file name generation, and database access methods which yield
- Documented reasons for not using Visual Source Safe (VSS) and
performed the resulting conversion to Concurrent Versions Systems
- Performed software configuration management and release
- Installed the Gnats problem tracking system.
- Assisted creating end-user documentation using LaTeX.
Additional Relevant Experience:
Applied Computing Systems, Inc., Los Alamos, NM
RDS, Inc. (Now Universal Payroll Processing), Rolla, MO
- Systems administrator for company (UNIX, NT).
- Installer and technical assistance for approximately 30 sites
- Assisted porting applications from Solaris to Linux.
- Developed C++ classes for accessing MS-Windows multimedia
- Wrote tools to stress test systems, perform network traffic
analysis, and program network equipment.
- Initiated documentation procedures for internal processes.
- Designed specifications for a turnkey scanning system.
- Represented company at trade shows and industry functions.
- Developed new reports,user interface enhancements, fax engine
- Performed technical support functions.
- Installed and managed office LAN.
- Initiated software configuration management process.
- Maintains a personal Linux distribution, with an emphasis on
NFS based configuration. Including monitoring for software updates,
network installation, and a build system. Active since 1994.
- Contributes bug reports, patches and enhancements to a wide
variety of open source projects.
- Current maintainer of the GNU Queue load-balancing system.
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science,
University of Missouri - Rolla, Rolla, MO, May 1996